From what age can drivers rent a car?
Ultimately, it is decided in the respective country or state how young or old a driver may be when renting a rental car. Also, individual suppliers impose different rules.
In general, many car rental companies require drivers, as well as additional drivers of the rental car, to be at least 21 years of age. Some car rental companies allow you to book a rental car when you are 18 years old. However, usually, not every model can be booked. Drivers, and any additional drivers, must be licensed for at least 12 months, regardless of their age. Some suppliers even require 24 months of driving experience. If you have your driver's license before you are of age, the rental company will only count the months from the age of 18. Exceptions may apply to small vehicles that in some countries can be rented by people who are 18 or 19 years old. For further information please contact our customer support team.
What is a young driver fee and when does it have to be paid?
A young driver fee is an additional amount charged by car rental companies on top of your regular car rental, as younger and more inexperienced drivers are statistically more likely to damage the rental car during their reservation or don't have enough experience driving.
Even if the driver of the rental car is older than 21, a young driver fee will probably have to be paid at the local supplier when picking up the car rental. Many rental companies require this fee for all drivers less than 25 years of age.
How much is the young driver fee?
The amount of this fee varies depending on the country and the rental company. Please enter your age directly in the search so that you will only be shown offers that already include the young driver fee.
Usually, these small differences are indicated at the time of booking under the category "details and rental conditions." It is best to check, in advance, from which age different prices apply.
Where can drivers less than 21 rent a car?
Countries often have different requirements when it comes to renting a car. In the following Countries, you can rent a rental car even if you are under 21:
- USA: In the United States, drivers less than 21 can rent a car. However, all drivers, and additional drivers, of the rented vehicle must be at least 20 years old. A young driver fee must be paid until the age of 25. However, it is worthwhile to browse through the various offers.
- Canada: The minimum age in Canada to rent a car is usually 21. However, a few car rental companies also allow drivers less than 21 years to rent a car. Generally, a young driver fee applies for drivers until the age of 24.
- Australia: In Australia, some suppliers make it possible to drive a rental car from the age of 20.
- South Africa: Some car rental companies already allow customers aged 18 to rent a car. However, a young driver's fee must at least be paid until the age of 20.
- European Union: Generally, in most of the EU countries it is allowed to rent a car from the age of 21 years. Of course, there are some exceptions, such as Germany, Sweden, and Italy, where you can rent a car when you are younger. However, it is important to keep in mind that the drivers must have held their driver's license for at least 12 months. In France, customers under the age of 25 have high young driver fees.
Please note: Tax may be added to the young driver fee.
Are there any exceptions for drivers under the age of 18?
No, as generally rental car companies are bound to formal guidelines, even if you can prove a corresponding level of driving experience.
Please sign in to leave a comment.